This institution initially established at the premises of Rathmalana Depot to provide medical facilities for the employees of South Western Bus Company Ltd. was taken under the possession of Ceylon Transport Board with the nationalization of bus companies in 1958. After the nationalization it was named as “CTB Medical Division”,

Thereafter this institution was relocated at No. 170, Highlevel Road, Nugegoda aiming at expansion of service provided by it, functioning in accordance with the National Transport Medical Institution Act No. 25 of 1997 as a revenue generating Government Statutory Institution under the Ministry of Transport. Twenty five (25) branch offices have been established throughout the country to achieve its prime objectives.

This institution targets to achieve its goals in providing required services for issuance of medical reports conducting proper medical examinations for heavy vehicle and light vehicle drivers, through the Head Office and the branch offices in line with the vision of the institute.